To enhance the productivity of and income from the four CAADP priority value chains on a sustainable basis; reduce food importation from other continents; and offer farmers better access to markets, improve livelihoods and tackle poverty through enhanced capacities of beneficiaries in order to achieve sustainable development for the region.
The Project has four major Components:
- Agricultural technologies and innovations generation
- Agricultural technologies and innovations dissemination
- Capacity building
- Efficient project management
It will be implemented by three Africa based CGIAR centres, namely:
- Africa Rice Centre(AfricaRice)-the rice value chain
- International Centre for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA)- the wheat value chain.
- International Institute of Tropical Agriculture-cassava and maize value chains; IITA is also the executing agency for the project.
The International Food Policy Research Institute(IFPRI), is a specialized technical agency and support the other three centres (AfricaRice, ICARDA, and IITA) for projects’ activities dealing with the strengthening of the technical and commercial capacities of farmers’ organisations across the four value chains.
The expected key project outcomes are:
- Twenty percent yield increase in cassava, maize, rice and wheat.
- Average annual household cash income will increase from its present $370 to $600.
- Twenty percent increase in food security from 73% to 84% at the end of the project.
- Individual farmers and consumers
- Farmers’ groups including youth and women
- Policy makers
- Private sector operators
- Small –scale agricultural machinery manufacturers and
- Institutions( NARES,CGIAR,NGOs) from the Banks’ low income RMCs.
With the implementation of the various technologies for the strategic crops, SARD-SC will produce Regional Public Goods(RPGs) of public interest. The new crop varieties, crop management and practices, knowledge and other products from the CGIAR ‘s research work will be made widely available to individuals and organisations working for sustainable agricultural development in the world.